Good afternoon. We hope everyone is doing well and excited that we can officially start our summer. We are excited to share that Yorktown athletics will be entering Phase A within the next few weeks. Phase A is listed more in detail below. There is still uncertainty about our start date and what our season will look like, but we can look forward to Phase A. It brings us one step closer to playing. Phase A will also prepare our players and coaches to new protocols that will be in place, like temp checks and social distancing.
Here is the latest update:
- Start date still stands August 3rd, but it is still very unlikely. We are putting that date out there because we want all players and family to have a date in mind as a return to sport. Once we get the ok to start playing, we want everyone to be prepared and not miss out on the opportunity to participate in tryouts. What seems more likely is start after Labor Day.
- With restrictions, coaches can start organizing conditioning practices with players. Yorktown is calling this phase, Phase A. Coaches that are interested in this opportunity to work with players during this phase will be participating in virtual trainings and the hope is to start implementation of this phase as early as Monday, June 29.
- What this Phase will look like:
- Conditioning Only, No equipment used
- No physical required
- As of now, only 9-12th graders are allowed to participate. If there is available space, we will open it up to 8th graders. Must also be enrolled at Yorktown.
- Can only use outside facilities
- Coaches splitting up into groups to reduce the amount of players conditioning together
- Dates and Times: Not sure yet, we will be working with the other fall sports to sign up for facility usage.
- Could be a 2-3 week phase and hopefully with success we can transition into Phase B
- No details were given as to what Phase B would look like
- Player protocol
- Players will be required to answer questions prior to each conditioning practice; coaches will be documenting and reporting back to athletic office
- Players must wear face mask when entering field and must wear mask when leaving the field
- Players do not have to wear a mask when working out, but must be at least 10 feet apart
- Players must bring their own water bottle, there will be no coolers available to refill water
- What this Phase will look like:
- Player interest:
- We will be conducting a survey to gather info on the players that would be interested in participating during this phase. The survey will be used to allow the coaches and the athletic department to work together and figure out the best plan of action to implement this phase. If you are having trouble accessing the survey please respond to this email. SURVEY LINK
- Right now, we have a pretty large interest in players trying out for the team. We are limited on the amount of players that we are allowed to interact with during this phase. If interested in participating in this phase, we ask that there is consistency with showing up to the conditioning practices. We are thinking 2-3 practices a week for 30-60 minutes.
- This is not a mandatory practice and it does not determine your status with playing on the team.
- Please get physical forms completed. They can be emailed to email@example.com. We encourage getting the physical forms submitted to the activities office as soon as possible. Once we get the ok to start practicing field hockey, we will be conducting practices. In order for you to participate in those practices, you must be cleared by the activities office.
Hopefully this email brings good news to everyone. We let you know more details about Phase A once they are finalized.